From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: governors (was: Is cpufrequtils needed these days?)
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:23:10
1 On Freitag 02 Juli 2010, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 07:52:02PM +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Sonntag 28 Februar 2010, Mick wrote:
4 > > > or is the kernel itself clever enough to manage the hardware directly
5 > > > these days?
6 > >
7 > > yes, it is. Just use the ondemand governor.
8 >
9 > I've noticed what looks like some work overloads using the ondemand
10 > governor. I'm pretty sure it is normal but I can see (user feeling) when
11 > the system loads the processor by intermittence. It is visible on some
12 > compilations tasks and when playing flash videos and compared to the
13 > performance governor. I'm still runing a 2.6.26 kernel.
14
15 of course there is a little difference. Performance is not a governor. It just
16 sets the cpu at always full speed. So it does not have any ramp up time - but
17 also blows away a lot of energy AND generates unnecessary heat.