From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] EFI install ( continum) [ system hangs at boot ]
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:39:21
1 On Friday 27 Feb 2015 15:14:18 German wrote:
2 > On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 14:15:04 +0000
3 >
4 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 07:49:20 -0500, German wrote:
6 > > > > The kernel cannot find the block device containing your root
7 > > > > filesystem. Either you have given the wrong root= option to the
8 > > > > kernel
9 > > >
10 > > > Are you talking about this?
11 > > >
12 > > > "UEFI does not pass kernel parameters to the kernel during normal boot,
13 > > > so you need to hardcode them via CONFIG_CMDLINE. Example for the root
14 > > > partition on /dev/sda2: KERNEL Enable built-in kernel parameters
15 > > >
16 > > > Processor type and features --->
17 > > >
18 > > > [*] Built-in kernel command line
19 > > > (root=/dev/sda2)"
20 > >
21 > > Yes, if you are not using a boot manager.
22 >
23 > Hmm.. I was using some sort of boot manager, efibootmgr, however there was
24 > no word in install docs how to configure it to point to root device.. So,
25 > are you advising on gummiboot? Are people happy with it? I found gentoo
26 > wiki how to configure it, so I must give it a try. Thanks for your input,
27 > I guess the problem is solved now. On to the next install with gummi
28
29 You can still use the kernel stub to boot directly your OS, but you may need
30 to specify the root fs, if it is BTRFS (not sure about others):
31
32 $ grep CONFIG_CMDLINE /usr/src/linux/.config
33 # CONFIG_CMDLINE_PARTITION is not set
34 CONFIG_CMDLINE_BOOL=y
35 CONFIG_CMDLINE="root=/dev/sda2 rootfstype=btrfs"
36 # CONFIG_CMDLINE_OVERRIDE is not set
37
38 Also the fs type should be built directly in the kernel, rather than a module.
41 Regards,
42 Mick