From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To all IPv6-slackers among the Gentoo community
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 01:10:18
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 23:14:32 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >
4 > May be worth buying something which is (currently) supported by OpenWRT.
5 > Their website and wiki make various hardware recommendations.
6 >
7 > https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_864
10 > There are also a number of Linux firewall projects if you want to repurpose an
11 > old PC with more than one NIC and use that as a firewall/router.
14 I went to Newegg.  Hey, I buy stuff there sometimes.  Anyway, I've
15 looked at several routers and none of them mention IPv6 that I can
16 find.  I even skimmed the reviews and can't find a mention of it.  Is
17 there some secret way to know when IPv6 is supported?  Is it called
18 something else maybe?
19
20 I went to your link for Openwrt.  I found Linksys E2500 in the list.
21 When I go search for one, ebay etc, I then find E2500-NP with N600 also
22 mentioned.  Some even say E2500 and E2500-NP in the same description.  I
23 think the N600 has something to do with the wireless stuff.  If I want
24 to use Openwrt, does the -NP make any difference?  The link doesn't
25 mention the -NP version.  The N600 affect anything?  I'm trying to get a
26 dual band version since my current cell phone supports both I think but
27 if I get a new cell phone, it may want the other band, N I think it is
28 called.  :/
29
30 One thing I like about the old blue thing.  It has quite a few LEDs on
31 the front.  It's easy for me to see when data is moving even from across
32 the room.  The newer black ones have lights but only on the back from
33 what I can see.  I'm going to miss those LEDs.  :-(
34
35 So far, I like the E2500 and found a couple at a good price, on ebay but
36 I think they are new.  Also want to research the wireless range.  I
37 ended up having to move my printer closer to the router, in the kitchen
38 on top of the microwave at the moment.  The signal just wouldn't make it
39 to the far room all the time.  I saw one, Openwrt doesn't support it,
40 that can go several hundred feet.  I haven't looked at the E2500, yet.
41
42 Oh, for anyone else wanting to know of their Linksys router supports
43 IPv6.  On the menu, select Setup, then look for IPv6 Setup between Basic
44 Setup and DDNS in the lower tabs.  If it doesn't show up there, it
45 doesn't support IPv6.  I ran up on that somewhere.  Maybe that will help
46 someone else who knows as little as I do about this thing.  LOL
47
48 Dale
49