From: Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ZIC, aka setting the time zone.
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 06:34:30
1 On 1/16/2012 09:56 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hi, everybody.
3 >
4 > I've finally become zic and tired of messages like
5 >
6 > Tue Jan 17 02:48:28 Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page 2012 on tty14
7 >
8 > . Trying to read man zic, my eyes just glaze over. I "just" want my
9 > time to be GMT (or UTC or UCT, or whatever it's called these days).
10 > Surely I don't have to go through the palaver described in the zic
11 > manual page.
12 >
13 > Help, please!
14
15 I'm not sure what arch you're using, but the Installation manual has a part of
16 the answer for you.
17 I tend to avoid zic like I would avoid the plague, and use the Gentoo method of
18 changing settings.
19
20 For x86/amd64 systems (7.1.7):
21
22 # ls /usr/share/zoneinfo (Suppose you want to use GMT)
23 # cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT /etc/localtime
24
25 You also need to edit /etc/conf.d/hwclock (if you're using baselayout-2)
26 Specifically, you want to change the "clock=" line to the timezone you are
27 going to be using.
28 There also used to be an /etc/timezone file that would have to be edited, as
29 well. I think they removed
30 that file, but it has been a while since I changed my timezone.
31
32 After doing all this, you'd have to "source /etc/profile" in your active
33 shells, or just restart. You may get some
34 errors about file times - especially when trying to emerge packages, and if the
35 dates would be in the future.
36 Not a problem if they're in the past.
37
38 Chris