From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is supporting officially Snap packages?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 22:02:30
1 Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge <at> gentoo.org> writes:
2
3 > > Gentoo is supporting officially Snap packages? Why not Flatpak?
4
5 > Gentoo support for Snap is roughly as "official" as RedHat/Fedora support.
6
7 Still, if gentoo images can be customized at one's favorite cloud service
8 provider, it may serve as a way to easily evaluate new codes, particularly
9 codes that will require some effort to create a stable ebuild. That's what
10 I'm hoping for is just a quick shot packager where the host is very secured,
11 or outsourced, so security is somebody else's time_sink.
12
13 What bummed me out is that Canonical is the only one that can create these
14 packages for other distros? That's going to fly like a lead balloon, if that
15 is the case.
16
17 So the idea of a packges that also creates a (secure) container on a gentoo
18 system that is otherwise, containerless, does get folks into the
19 container/clusterr world rather quickly....
22 James