From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 06:56:15
1 On Wednesday 05 January 2011 00:55:49 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
3 > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >> Apparently, though unproven, at 15:18 on Tuesday 04 January 2011,
5 > >> Stroller did
6 > >>
7 > >> opine thusly:
8 > >>> I found numerous references to this syntax going back to 2005 or
9 > >>> so, and some major distros seem to use it as the default way of
10 > >>> describing "root=" to the kernel.
11 > >>>
12 > >>> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/23010-root-la
13 > >>> bel- grub-conf.html
14 > >>> http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/RedHat/2005-01/0026.html
15 > >>>
16 > >>> However:
17 > >>> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Using--%22root%3DLABEL%3Dxxxx%22-in-grub.co
18 > >>> nf-p 21909347.html http://tinyurl.com/2u4srg4
19 > >>>
20 > >>> Stroller.
21 > >>
22 > >> All the major distros I've seen it on also use initrds though (rare in
23 > >> gentoo- land). I have no idea how it all works, I just know how to type
24 > >> it on a RHEL box.
25 >
26 > I am using an initrd, I need it since my root partition is encrypted.
27 > It's generated and copied to /boot with 'genkernel --install --luks
28 > --lvm all', but you have to have CLEAN="no" in /etc/genkernel.conf or
29 > genkernel will create its own .config.
30 >
31 > >> Elsewhere in the thread someone mentioned that this syntax relies on an
32 > >> initrd, and I suspect he may be correct.
33 >
34 > And Stroller's 3rd link also does this.
35 >
36 > > I tried using labels with the old grub a while back and it didn't work.
37 > > Labels in fstab works fine tho. We may have to wait on the new grub to
38 > > get finished
39 >
40 > I would be surprised if it had this feature. AFAIK grub is already done
41 > at this stage, the kernel has taken over. And I guess it does not know
42 > about the LABEL= syntax, and has no code to scan all devices for file
43 > system labels.
44 > With an initramfs, the kernel runs an init script which can do various
45 > stuff, like probing all devices for file system labels.
46
47 I understand that GRUB2 has bash scripting capabilities which can can use the
48 command 'search' to probe devices at boot time and use things like UUID and
49 LABEL. Not sure if an initrd is required. I could be wrong though - I have
50 not had the time to experiment with it yet.
51 --
52 Regards,
53 Mick