From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Still questions concerning a reasonable setup of a new system: UEFI &&/|| MTBR
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 16:13:44
1 On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 8:41 AM Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 5:06 AM <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
4 > > ...because I have experienced neither any restrictions nor any
5 > > fragilities in the last 12 years of using a MTB setup with that
6 > > "MS-DOS" setup (technically it is more a MTB-setup. MSDOS refers
7 > > to V/FAT, which needs to be used with UEFI in the first partition
8 > > as far as I know...isn't it?)
9 > >
10 > > In short: Never chance a runnig system.
11 > >
12 > > But let us better discuss on a more technical level, since I asked
13 > > for technical help and not for more rethorical given question as
14 > > an answer.
15 >
16 > Here's a technical reason to prefer GPT universally: it stores 2
17 > copies of the partition table, one at the start of the disk and one at
18 > the end of the disk. If either copy gets destroyed, you should be able
19 > to recover the partition table from the other copy.
20
21 Mike,
22 What's the process for doing that in general? I assume it's
23 fundamentally to copy the one at the end (what tools) and then to place it
24 back at the beginning? (what tools?
25
26 Thanks,
27 Mark