From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage telling me what it's doing
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 07:08:18
1 Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I've just kicked off an "emerge -NuD world" and will now head out
4 > for a while. My emerge has to do, amongst others, gcc, libreoffice,
5 > Firefox & Thunderbird. Now when I get back I'll want to know where the
6 > emerge is up to so, in my ignorance of portage/emerge in great depth and
7 > with only compiler output spewing up the screen, I'll fire up another
8 > terminal, and now don't laugh, I'll do "emerge --pretend -NuD world".
9 > That will tell me what's currently being compiled as it will be the top
10 > thingy on the list. There has to be a better way....
11 >
12 > Is there a way so that the terminal that the emerge is happening in
13 > can display additional info? At the moment, I get:
14 >
15 > /home/agl: emerge
16 >
17 > can I get, say:
18 >
19 > /home/agl: emerge www-client/firefox
20 >
21 > by setting some config variable? Failing that is there a log file that
22 > lists just what's been emerged, not a whole lot of "checking this,
23 > checking that, compiling this file, linking that library, whoops, error
24 > here..." sort of thing.
25 >
26 > Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
27 >
28 > Andrew
33 I use the command:
34
35 genlop -c
36
37 That tells what is compiling and some general time info too.
38
39 Hope that helps.
40
41 Dale
42
46 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
47 how you interpreted my words!
48
49 Miss the compile output? Hint:
50 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"