From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT sphinx] Any users of sphinx here
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 20:38:33
1 Brandon Vargo <brandon.vargo@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > As an example of how it works, suppose I am making a news website and
4 > have a bunch of news posts, each of which has an author, category, and
5
6 Thank you brandon for such a nice through answer... Yeah, looks like
7 I'm barking up the wrong tree.
8
9 I know about htdig.. Not much though. Far as remember it didn't have
10 much in the way of search interface... something like google. Where
11 as webglimpse has a rich set of search terms, including some regular
12 expressions and regular expression like operators... all the same
13 tools as glimpse (and agrep). So many in fact it can be a bit
14 daunting to try to become proficient with.
15
16 Maybe you can enlighten me about htdig... its been yrs since I tried
17 htdig.
18
19 Even webglimpse fails though when it comes to trying to search for
20 snippets of code like perl or C etc. No body want the sloth and cpu
21 overhead of serious regular expression searching and that maybe the
22 only (good) way to search for things like /,{,$,(,[,!,@ etc etc like
23 one would need to find types of code snippets. Also I guess it
24 would be pretty hard to build an index with that in mind.
25
26 I keep thinking some good developer will come out with a tool aimed at
27 websites like might be found on a home lan (in scope)... where regular
28 expression searching wouldn't be so far out.
29
30 Or maybe there just is no herd of people who are competent in regular
31 expression searching, and hence no audience for such a tool