From: "Patrick Börjesson" <psycho@××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: keys that don't create keycodes
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:15:01
1 On 05/07/19 17:31, Petr Kocmid wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 19 of July 2005 08:56, Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 > > It seems that every multimedia keyboard out there (especially the usb
4 > > ones) have some or all "extra" keys that just aren't visible outside of
5 > > Winblows.
6 > >
7 > > I have a couple of them! I've tried all the usual ways of detecting
8 > > them - xev and others that do a similar thing but they just don't
9 > > register as keypresses in any standard way.
10 > >
11 > > I would like comments on why, and what methods, if any, may be available
12 > > to detect such keys. Surely with the plethora of cheap multimedia
13 > > keyboards out there, there is some way.
14 >
15 > In X, once you analyze scan codes generated by those keys with xev, you can
16 > assign keycodes locally wih xmodmap. In keyboard maps, you can reuse some
17 > exotic Fn key names available from historical mainframe terminals, unused on
18 > PC platform, such as F26 and Shift+F26 and so, I can't now remember the exact
19 > number limit for function key names, depends on how x libraries built. Works
20 > great for KDE, which recognizes these names well for shortcuts.
21
22 I think the originator is rather pointing out the problem that the newer
23 keyboards (e.g. those with the F-Lock key) doesn't even generate a
24 scancode. So xev for example won't even register a keypress when one of
25 those extra multimedia keys is pressed by the user...
26
27 I had the same problem when I bought a new keyboard, but I just couldn't
28 find a solution for it so I returned it and went back to one of my old
29 IBM-clicky-click keyboards ;)
32 Regards,
33 Patrick Börjesson
34
35 PGP signature: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x21792A5D
36 PGP fingerprint: 74AF D4EF 6BDE CF77 16BE 6A29 CDB8 7607 2179 2A5D