From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about History file
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 14:02:03
1 On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 07:10:10AM -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I routinely am logged into a server with multiple consoles (I log in
5 > with one (the same) regular user, then su - to root).
6 >
7 > This morning I tried to grep roots .bash_history for a command I ran
8 > some time ago, and it wasn't there. I know I ran it, so I'd like to
9 > configure my bash history so this doesn't happen again.
10 >
11 > Thinking about it a bit, the first issue I see is... when I am running
12 > multiple consoles, each one having been started by first logging in as
13 > my normal user, then su - to root, how does this affect the
14 > .bash_history file? It seems like there would be a collision of some
15 > kind, maybe result in the last one to log out 'winning' (that
16 > .bash_history is the one that is saved/stored) or something?
17 >
18 > Maybe... would it be possible to use different regular users, then when
19 > each one does the su - to root, have it create a separate .bash_history
20 > file based on the original username? That would be perfect.
21 >
22 > I was also considering something like setting HISTSIZE=###, then adding
23 > something to the logrotate.conf file to start rotating the history file,
24 > so I don't lose anything - but I'm not sure if that would even work.
25 >
26 > So, I'm interested in how others do this... especially on a system that
27 > has multiple users managing it.
28 >
29 > Thx... Charles
30
31 Long ago living in a country far away on computers long since abandoned, some
32 friendly sysadmin helped me set this up. For quite some time this has been on
33 my "TO-DO" wishlist, so your query caused me to search the internet:
34
35 http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/088
36
37 Hope this helps you and I both append our history for all open terminals.
38
39 Bruce
40 --
41 List replies preferred.
42
43 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
44 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
45 A: Top-posting.
46 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
47
48 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting