From: Willie WY Wong <wongwwy@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is dhcpcd starting by itself?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 18:16:54
1 On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 05:31:23PM +0200, Penguin Lover Alan McKinnon squawked:
2 > Here's what I've found after much up & down-grading and rebooting:
3 >
4 > First, I've had netmount in the default runlevel for ages and it's
5 > worked for ages even though it does nothing.
6 > Second, openrc has been launching "dhcpcd -q" at boot time for ages and
7 > this has never interfered with wicd which comes along later.
8 >
9 > openrc-0.8.* always works with any kernel version
10 > openrc-0.9* work with kernel-3.2.5
11 >
12 > openrc-0.9* does not work with kernel-3.2.6, giving these errors:
13
14 ----snipped log-----
17 > That looks to me like avahi is all confused and tripping over what
18 > openrc & wicd do properly. I'd say the root cause is a change in
19 > kernel-3.2.6 that was not tested against.
22 Alan: after re-reading your post, I have to retract my earlier
23 statement. It seems *your* problem is a separate one from the one that
24 Dan and I are having!
25
26 I am running on 2.6.37. I just tried to upgrade to 3.2.6 earlier today
27 but ran into some other problems (there seems to be a bug in the
28 linux-3 kernel that breaks WEP for ath9k wireless cards, that and for
29 some reason `shutdown -h now' halts but does not power off; both are
30 known and there are patches, just haven't made it into the tree yet).
31
32 The problem I was reporting has nothing to do with the kernel (same
33 kernel since last August).
34
35 Cheers,
36
37 W
38
39 Cheers,
40
41 W
42 --
43 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
44 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton