From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New PC hangs/lacks ?
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 14:20:08
1 On 05/06 07:07, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 3:21 AM <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > while rendering with Blender the system performance (especially
8 > > graphic related stuff) lacks. That's not nice but it seems that this
9 > > is the way it is designed.
10 > >
11 > > What makes me a little nervous are freezes of several seconds. It not
12 > > onlu freezes but the whole graphical interface of everything locks
13 > > down (I couldn't find a corona computer virus, though).
14 > >
15 > > In the Xorg log I found this:
16 > >
17 > > [ 2808.761] (WW) NVIDIA: Wait for channel idle timed out.
18 > >
19 > > which possibly match such a moment of a freeze.
20 > >
21 > > My setup:
22 > > Blender 2.90a (alpha) and Blender 2.83 (beta) and
23 > > Blender 2.82a (stable).
24 > > All Blender versions show the same problem.
25 > >
26 > > X11/Openbox
27 > >
28 > > NVidia 484.82 as delivered by NVidia, since the Gentoo
29 > > package does not install all files of the driver which
30 > > are needed for Blender (for example to support Optix).
31 > >
32 > > No other application, which heavily uses the GPU was
33 > > running at that time.
34 > >
35 > > MSI RTX 2060 SUPER
36 > > Ryzen 5 3600
37 > > 32GB RAM
38 > > MSI Tomahawk MAX
39 > >
40 > > Does everyone has the same problems probably already solved
41 > > or any idea how I can those freezes?
42 > >
43 > > Any help or idea what causes this freezes is very appreciated! :)
44 > >
45 > > Cheers!
46 > > Meino
51 > Meino,
52 > Generically, you need to set up some sort of real-time monitoring
53 > and watch to see what is using CPU and/or I/O when the machine
54 > 'appears' to hang. I say 'appears' because the machine is probably
55 > running correctly but doing something other than Blender work.
56 >
57 > NOTE: You didn't say that there is or isn't any disk activity when this
58 > happens.
59 >
60 > When I look at this sort of problem I set up a second machine, ssh
61 > in with a bunch of terminals and start with 'top' and 'iotop' to watch
62 > for what process might be using resources. top watches CPU, iotop
63 > watches disk. Conceptually networking can lock up the machine but
64 > it's never happened to me.
65 >
66 > You can also look to see if some piece of hardware is generating
67 > too many interrupts. Do
68 >
69 > watch cat /proc/interrupts
70 >
71 > in a wide terminal when not running Blender to get used to what
72 > the machine does when idle, then run Blender and see if anything
73 > is going crazy generating interrupts.
74 >
75 > I hope some part of this helps you find your problem.
76 >
77 > Mark
80 Hi Mark,
81
82 Thank you for your help and ideas.
83
84 I will try to convince my tablet to connect to my PC and
85 will try to lock everyting which may point me into to the
86 direction of the problem.
87
88 To complete, what I previously wrote:
89 No, the disk is not doing anything beside holidays
90 in Honulu...so to say ;)
91
92 As soon I have something new "I'll be back"... :)
93
94 Cheers!
95 Meino