From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] media center with gentoo
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 07:19:05
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 08:42 on Saturday 14 May 2011, Coert
2 Waagmeester did opine thusly:
3
4 > Hello all,
5 >
6 > Building myself a new media center setup.
7 > I used to have an old xbox with xbmc. But the CPU is to slow for hi-def
8 > video.
9 >
10 > Now I have a normal PC with keyboard and mouse in its place.
11 > Normal Gentoo install.
12 >
13 > How can I get X to start up without login straight into XBMC?
14 > Which (xdm,kdm,etc) should I use for this?
15 > Or should I just start an xsession with xbmc out of some sort of init
16 > script?
17 >
18 > On the XBMC forum I have found this link, and will try to get that going
19 > in the meantime.
20 > http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=41739
21 >
22 > Any other media center tips would be appreciated!
23 > Also going to try and put a normal USB plug on one of the old xbox
24 > controllers.
27 Inspect /etc/inittab, especially the last section relating to xdm, this refers
28 you to /etc/init.d/xdm which uses DISPLAYMANAGER in /etc/conf.d/xdm
29
30 Setting DISPLAYMANAGER to a script of your own should work.
31 Perhaps /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone could be useful here.
32
33 The point being, the xdm function in the init scripts does not have to start a
34 full display manager, it can launch anything of your choice
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com