From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recipe for managing multiple network/system settings
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:36:28
1 On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:15:42 -0500, Jeff wrote:
2
3 > I know that baselayout can handle certain services, but how do I
4 > combine that with the need for
5 > various host files, resolve.conf files, gateway, hostname, domainname,
6 > ESSID, etc. Even default printers would be nice.
7 >
8 > I need to support choosing one of several configurations at boot time,
9 > via grub:
10 > 1) home-wireless-dhcp
11 > 2) home-wired-dhcp
12 > 3) work1-wired
13 > 4) work2-wireless-dhcp
14
15 You can do this by setting RC_USE_CONFIG_PROFILE="yes" in /etc/conf.d/rc
16 The comment in the same file explains it
17
18 # RC_USE_CONFIG_PROFILE allows you to have different /etc/conf.d files
19 # based on your runlevel - if a conf.d file for your profile does not exist
20 # then we try and use the default one.
21 # To enable runlevel selection at boot, append "softlevel=foobar" to your
22 # kernel line to change to the foobar runlevel. Here we would search for
23 # /etc/conf.d/<service>.foobar config files before trying to use the default
24 # /etc/conf.d/<service>.
25 # Note that it is only active if 'softlevel' was specified via the kernel line,
26 # and it is intended to use for different grub/lilo entries to specify config
27 # changes for say laptops between home and work, where you would have setup
28 # 'work' and 'home' runlevels, with /etc/conf.d/*.<runlevel> as needed.
29
30 If you need the same services to start in each config, but with different
31 configurations, you can make the various runlevel directories symlinks
32 to /etc/runlevels/default.
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 Voting Democrat or Republican is like choosing a cabin in the Titanic.