From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on Intel Mac Mini?
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 05:32:34
1 On 2009-02-28, Robert J. King <peritus@×××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > It is done often. Writing this on an 24" Intel iMac running
4 > Gentoo w/ kde. Just a few gotchas that I ran into:
5 >
6 > 1. The 2008.0 livecd's version of grub doesn't have the Mac
7 > partition patch. Simple update of portage and then grub
8 > fixes this.
9
10 Do the livecds now use grub? I thought they used syslinux.
11 Maybe I'm thinking of a different livecd.
12
13 > 2. Nvidia binary drivers seem to have a bug that will turn
14 > off the screen everytime you either close X11 or switch to
15 > a VC. The screen comes back on when you go back to X by
16 > CTRL+Fn unless you have shutdown X11. If that is the
17 > case, then you have to restart it by typing blindly or
18 > ssh'ing in from another machine. I haven't found a fix
19 > for this yet. Not sure if this pertains to the mac mini
20 > they might be using ATI.
21
22 The Minis now use an Intel GMA 950. Linux driver support is
23 supposed to be pretty good. Not sure if it includes XvMC or
24 not, but a 1.8GHz core2 duo should be able to handle ATSC HD
25 playback without it.
26
27 > Good info at: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Apple_Macbook_Pro
28 >
29 > If you plan on installing to the hard drive I recommend
30 > keeping a small OSX partition (for firmware updates and stuff
31 > from apple) and using rEFIt as a boot manager.
32 > http://refit.sourceforge.net This is how I have it set up and
33 > its working well.
34
35 The first choice would be USB or network. I'd like to shut
36 down the hard-drive.
39 Grant