From: Thomas Kahle <tom111@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network message encryption
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:11:31
1 Xianwen Chen wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > I'm looking for a network message encryption method. Please kindly
5 > tell me if you know any Instant Messenger which supports encryption.
6 > Thank you very much!
7
8 Kopete with the otr use flag supports Off The Record Encryption. This is
9 THE method when communicating over a totally open channel like the
10 internet. The message is encrypted on your computer and decrypted on the
11 receivers computer. A drawback is that you have to "handshake" with each
12 of the receivers first. New keys are generated on the fly (off the
13 record) such that if your secret key is compromised no old messages can
14 be decrypted still. Wikipedia has a small article about it and it works
15 quite easily once set up in kopete.
16
17 Best
18 Thomas
21 > Best regards,
22 >
23 > Wen
28 Thomas Kahle
29
30 The fundamental theorem of algebra is open source. Like any other
31 mathematical theorem it can be applied free of charge and everybody
32 has access to its proof and can convince himself how it works. Why
33 should software be any different?