From: Daniel Sonck <daniel@×××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pure Data (Pd) can't access ALSA device
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 18:59:42
1 This sounds pretty normal to me. ALSA isn't really suited for simultaneous
2 audio access. In general with ALSA you have only one program that can use
3 audio at a time, or you use the mixer module from ALSA. I assume a program
4 running on the background has claimed ALSA already for certain reasons.
5
6 If you run PulseAudio (which is pretty standard on a regular desktop), this
7 one will be the cullprit. Usually the jack tools are smart enough to suspend
8 pulseaudio. You can in fact run puredata through the pasuspend script which
9 suspends pulseaudio so ALSA is free again.
10
11 What I recommend (which you already tried) is using JACK. JACK will take
12 ownership of your ALSA device, and gives you a capable routing system allowing
13 you to hook up more than just PureData to your audio card. Optionally routing
14 it to other software. In addition, it's possible to compile pulseaudio with
15 jack support which means you can in fact have regular (non-audio) apps work
16 together with jack, which is what I sometimes use: Set up my audio studio
17 setup, while still having pulseaudio around for stuff like browsers and video
18 players. If I suddenly have a creative spark, I have my studio ready to play
19 with. When I'm done, browsers still work with sound
20
21 Daniel
22