From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is grub2 stable and who uses it?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 14:47:37
1 On 2011-10-05, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2
3 >> I give up. I've absolutely no idea what grub2 has to do with the OS's
4 >> init system, and none of what you've written makes any sense to me.
5 >
6 > I think what he meant was:
7
8 I assume you mean PID#1 (typically /sbin/init). On Unixes with PID#0,
9 it's usually the swapper or scheduler task that's internal to the
10 kernel.
11
12 > The *installer* portion of grub2 is aware of which pid#0 is running
13 > when it auto-creates the bootloader's configuration. That pid#0 is
14 > passed on to the kernel by the bootloader.
15
16 OK. I that I understand. It seems a bit redundant to me: I've been
17 running Linux since the 0.99 days and never had to pass init= to a
18 kernel. But, I guess it won't hurt anything...
19
20 > The *bootloader* portion of grub2 don't know and don't care what is
21 > being used as pid#0 by the OS. All it knows is that the installer
22 > portion has specified something to be passed to the OS. And that's
23 > what it does, without understanding anything about pid#0.
24
25 And the set of init scripts that belong to grub2 are just to try to
26 auto-magically generate the config file?
29 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! They collapsed
30 at ... like nuns in the
31 gmail.com street ... they had no
32 teen appeal!