From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Very small email sender thingy
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 12:53:31
1 On 22/11/2016 13:01, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > First up, I'm not an email admin or anything as snazzy so I'm not
4 > fully buzzword compliant.
5 >
6 > What I'm after is a tiny app that will, when called from the prompt,
7 > send an email to any address. I have several apps that take a long time
8 > to run, think Finite Elemental Analysis and Computational Fluid
9 > Dynamics, and I want something that can send me an email upon success or
10 > failure. I can wrap everything up in a script, it's the actual email
11 > sending that I'm looking for advice on.
12 >
13 > Off the top of my head I'm looking for something that is small,
14 > think the sort of thing that someone would write in Python to show off
15 > to their work colleagues and is 79 lines in size. This is going to be
16 > running on a Gentoo machine so Python is there and if I have to add
17 > another small Python package that's fine.
18 >
19 > In turn the recipient address, the mail server, which is my ISP's,
20 > etc along with a text file for the message can be either command line
21 > variables or in a simple config file which is written on the fly by the
22 > original script that ran everything.
23 >
24 > Does anyone know of such a little beasty or is this the reason I've
25 > been looking for to learn Python?
26 >
27 > Thoughts greatly appreciated,
28 >
29 > Andrew
34 ssmtp
35
36 config file is something like 6 lines :-)
37 and none of that sendmail m4 crap either
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com