From: Manuel McLure <manuel@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Black screen half way through boot until X startup
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 01:56:03
1 Hi, all, I have the following issue I'm trying to resolve.
2
3 I have a stable amd64 Gentoo system running on a Core i5-650 with an Nvidia
4 GT710 in my home theater PC. It's connected to my home theater receiver via
5 HDMI and thence to my 4K TV.
6
7 The problem I'm seeing is that after the boot starts, the boot messages
8 scroll up until "Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC]" shows
9 and then the screen goes black. However, the boot continues until Kodi
10 starts up and the screen shows the Kodi UI. But the screen is blank for
11 20-30 seconds during the second half of the boot process.
12
13 If I look at rc.log I see the following around the time the video goes
14 black:
17 [ ok ]
19 [ ok ]
21 insmod
22 /lib/modules/4.19.97-gentoo-x86_64/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_ondemand.ko
23 [ ok ]
24 * Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC] ...
25 [ ok ]
26 * The binfmt-misc module needs to be loaded by the modules service or
27 built in.
28 * Mounting misc binary format filesystem ...
29 [ ok ]
31 [ ok ]
32
33 which matches the messages I see before the black screen.
34
35 So this isn't a huge issue _unless_ there's a boot issue. It came to the
36 fore this weekend when a bad MySQL upgrade caused the boot to hang and I
37 had a lot of trouble figuring out what the problem was due to the lack of
38 video. Nothing I did on the keyboard allowed me to see what was going on,
39 and because MySQL was being started before sshd I couldn't even log in
40 remotely. It took booting into a LiveCD and looking at the boot logs to
41 figure out what was going on.
42
43 Any ideas? I'm using the x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers 440.59 but this has
44 been happening for a long time with earlier versions as well.
45 --
46 Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@××××××.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
47 ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
48 no man may kill a cat. -- H.P. Lovecraft