From: Manuel McLure <manuel@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Black screen half way through boot until X startup
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 01:56:03
Hi, all, I have the following issue I'm trying to resolve.

I have a stable amd64 Gentoo system running on a Core i5-650 with an Nvidia
GT710 in my home theater PC. It's connected to my home theater receiver via
HDMI and thence to my 4K TV.

The problem I'm seeing is that after the boot starts, the boot messages
scroll up until "Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC]" shows
and then the screen goes black. However, the boot continues until Kodi
starts up and the screen shows the Kodi UI. But the screen is blank for
20-30 seconds during the second half of the boot process.

If I look at rc.log I see the following around the time the video goes
black:

 [ ok ]
 [ ok ]
insmod
/lib/modules/4.19.97-gentoo-x86_64/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_ondemand.ko
 [ ok ]
 * Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC] ...
 [ ok ]
 * The binfmt-misc module needs to be loaded by the modules service or
built in.
 * Mounting misc binary format filesystem ...
 [ ok ]
 [ ok ]

which matches the messages I see before the black screen.

So this isn't a huge issue _unless_ there's a boot issue. It came to the
fore this weekend when a bad MySQL upgrade caused the boot to hang and I
had a lot of trouble figuring out what the problem was due to the lack of
video. Nothing I did on the keyboard allowed me to see what was going on,
and because MySQL was being started before sshd I couldn't even log in
remotely. It took booting into a LiveCD and looking at the boot logs to
figure out what was going on.

Any ideas? I'm using the x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers 440.59 but this has
been happening for a long time with earlier versions as well.
--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@××××××.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,