From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] One machine sends "emerge" text output to stderr, not stdout
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:42:34
1 On 17/11/2010, at 12:25am, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I have a main machine and a backup machine. The main machine is 64-bit
3 > and the backup is 32-bit, but otherwise very similar setup. I
4 > haven't updated the backup (32-bit machine) for a while,
5 > ... there are
6 > 151 lines of output in file x and output is going to stderr. This
7 > happens on only the backup machine, not the main machine.
8
9 It's probably fixed in one of the updates! Why are you posting before you checked that!?!?
10
11 Use `screen` or `tmux` in place of `less` if you need to scroll back over the results of --pretend before running the emerge.
12
13 > The main quirk on my mcahines is that I start USE with "-*" on all my
14 > machines. This goes back to when the developers "in their infinite
15 > wisdom", decided to make ipv6 a default USE flag.
16
17 Why not just use -ipv6 as a global USE flag!?!?
18
19 I have to admit that the Gentoo devs have in the past made decisions which have caused me to be suspicious of their sanity. But if I disagree with them over a USE flag I just add it to make.conf.
20
21 Stroller.