From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads Up - glibc-2.27 breaks my system
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2018 18:23:20
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 03/02/18 16:08, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> It is perfectly fine to downgrade glibc if you didn't emerge anything
5 >>> that compiled binaries.
6 >>>
7 >>> If you did, you can still downgrade, but then you need to rebuild the
8 >>> packages that you emerged since the glibc upgrade. qlop is your friend
9 >>> here; it lets you find out the dates on which you emerged packages.
10 >>
11 >> That makes sense.  So, if worse comes to worse, downgrade, then emerge
12 >> -e world if unsure what all has been updated since.  If, using qlop or
13 >> friends, you can figure what was done since the upgrade, emerge those to
14 >> make sure the linking is correct.  At least that is a option that should
15 >> be doable.  That's better than thinking you can't downgrade for any
16 >> reason, period.
17 >
18 > You might not be able to do that, if python (used by emerge) uses
19 > something that breaks when downgrading glibc. Or gcc. Or binutils. Or
20 > bash. Or anything else that's needed during an emerge.
21 >
22 > So you need to check with qlop *before* downgrading, and if it looks
23 > like something critical was built against the new glibc, then all bets
24 > are off. Which is why the downgrade protection exists in the first place.
25 >
26 > The only way out of this, is restoring from backup or fixing things by
27 > booting from a sysrescuecd or similar.
28 >
29 > If only firefox or your media player and stuff like that got built
30 > against the new glibc, then it's fine to downgrade. Otherwise, you
31 > could end up bricking your system.
37 I see.  That would cause problems.  Depending on how bad it is affected,
38 even emerge -k may not work same could be said for tar to I guess.  So,
39 while upgrading glibc is required, eventually, it is also risky unless
40 it is well, very well, tested.
41
42 I searched the wiki, I don't see anything about this topic.  I don't
43 know how to do the wiki thing but it would be nice for someone who does
44 to create a wiki page for this.  It is likely a rare thing to happen but
45 the consequences of it are pretty serious and tricky to fix.  To keep
46 from hijacking this thread anymore, I'd be happy to start a new thread,
47 let people post what they know and should be on the wiki and then
48 whoever knows how to do a wiki page move whatever is agreed on to the
49 page.
50
51 Any takers?
52