From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why gentoo doesn't have long description?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:41:17
1 Jonas Geiregat schreef:
2 > Fernando Canizo wrote:
3 >
4 >> El 25/ago/2005 a las 20:57 -0300, Holly me decía:
7 >>> conan@××××××××××.ar schreef:
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>> Hi all,
11 >>>> one thing i miss from my previous debian system was the long
12 >>>> description that one can acces with 'apt-cache show <package>'.
13 >>>>
14 >>>
15 >>> <snip>
16 >>>
17 >>> Just saw this on the Wiki (Portage utilities not in Portage), and
18 >>> thought it might be something for you:
19 >>>
20 >>> tsportageview (forums) (sample-html-output) (download)
21 >>>
22 >>> * Show descriptions of packages in a given portage category(-ies).
23 >>> It may use <longdescription> from metadata.xml files. The output can be
24 >>> coloured text (requires color package) or html with links towards
25 >>> package homepages.
26 >>>
27 >>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-350215-highlight-tsportageview.html
28 >>>
32 > To point is should this be included in emerge or not ?
33
34 I don't personally need two extra lines of information; I usually find
35 the single line provided sufficiently clear to make a decision. If I
36 care enough to want to know more, I go to the website that is linked
37 with the description-- adding a couple of extra lines to a description
38 doesn't really make up for looking at the developer's ChangeLog, or the
39 status of the site (does development seem to be ongoing, or was the last
40 stable package created 4 years ago).
41
42 I don't see any need to say that this or some similar functionality
43 'should' be included in Portage (as if the lack of this functionality is
44 some serious lack in Portage), but if you do, submit an enhancement bug
45 and see what happens.
46
47 Holly
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list