From: "de Almeida
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] System.map not found - unable to check symbols
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 22:25:15
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Bo Andresen [mailto:bo.andresen@××××.dk]
3 > Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 1:04 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System.map not found - unable to check
6 symbols
7 >
8 > Reordered to make it more readable.
9 >
10 > On Tuesday 09 May 2006 15:56, de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:
11 > > > > System.map not found - unable to check symbols.
12 > > > > which doesn't seem to cause problems during/after booting (??).
13 > > > >
14 > > > > I did a manual kernel compilation
15 > > >
16 > > > To do this, I always do:
17 > > >
18 > > > make all modules_install install
19 > > >
20 > > > This will do all the necessary steps.
21 > > I tried the make all option and it added a /boot -> .
22 > > Inside /boot. Also, a menu.lst file was created inside /boot/grub
23 that
24 > > points to grub.conf. Other than that there no changes/additions we
25 made.
26 >
27 > 'make all' is supposed to compile the kernel, 'make modules_install'
28 will
29 > compile the kernel modules, 'make install' will install the kernel and
30 > 'make
31 > all modules_install install' will do all three of those things.
32
33 I tried multiple times, different ways installing the kernel (vanilla
34 sources) and reinstalling grub. Still the same message of "System.map
35 not found" during booting.
36 >
37 > > I rebooted and had the same problem occurring:
38 > >
39 > > System.map not found -- unable to check symbols
40 >
41 > Could you provide the output of:
42 >
43 > # df -h | grep boot
44 > # ls -l /boot
45
46 Nothing from the previous commands since /boot is not mounted (it is no
47 in fstab as suggested by the install handbook)
48 > # uname -r
49
50 2.6.15.1
53 > And please no top-posting i.e. post your replies below whatever you
54 are
55 > replying to.
56 >
57 > --