From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem with xf86-video-ati & nvidia-drivers
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:13:43
1 >>>>> When I was using an Nvidia video card, I noticed a strange sort of
2 >>>>> fuzzy edge effect if I used nvidia-drivers.  xf86-video-nouveau didn't
3 >>>>> have the same problem.  Now I've switched to an ATI video card and
4 >>>>> unfortunately I have the same problem with xf86-video-ati.  I tried to
5 >>>>> enable the new modesetting radeon driver in the kernel to see if that
6 >>>>> would help but it doesn't work with my HD4250 card yet.  Does anyone
7 >>>>> know how to fix this?  Here's a photo of the effect around the mouse
8 >>>>> cursor:
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/804/cursor.jpg
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> - Grant
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Hi Grant,
16 >>>>
17 >>>> just a shot in the dark:
18 >>>> The image looks to me as thos would be an analog instead of
19 >>>> an digital problem.
20 >>>> May be both propietary drivers switch to the highest possible
21 >>>> data transfer rate and this triggers the problem.
22 >>>> To check, whether this may be the problem:
23 >>>> Instruct the driver to use either low resolution or low refresh
24 >>>> rates. Check both.
25 >>>> If the problem changes signifiently: Change the cables.
26 >>>> May be only a pluf is not inserted correctly.
27 >>>> Addtionally you can move the cables arround to see whether
28 >>>> this will change the shadows around the cursor in any way...
29 >>>>
30 >>>> Good luck! :)
31 >>>> Best regards
32 >>>> mcc
33 >>>
34 >>> Thanks for that.  I'm still working on it but adding radeon.audio=0 to
35 >>> grub cleaned it up about 75%.
36 >>>
37 >>> - Grant
38 >>
39 >> It turns out the radeon.audio=0 setting disables HDMI data packets and
40 >> puts the HDMI port in DVI mode.  mcc, I'm starting to think you had it
41 >> pretty right on.  I've tried two different cables with the same result
42 >> but I'm thinking this may be some sort of electrical interference
43 >> issue.
44 >
45 > HDMI is digital, so there can be no interference.  This looks more like a
46 > driver bug.
47
48 I tried the latest git-sources-3.0 kernel with the same results.
49
50 > Btw, why are you connecting to your monitor with HDMI?  For computer
51 > monitors, you use the DVI port, not HDMI.  HDMI is for TVs.  Unless of
52 > course your monitor lacks a digital DVI port (DVI-I or DVI-D).  If it only
53 > has a DVI-A port, only then is HDMI the better solution.
54
55 The monitor is actually a 47" LG HDTV. This is an HTPC.
56
57 - Grant