From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: my 5.15.93 kernel keeps rebooting
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:08:51
1 On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 07:11:12 -0500,
2 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 6:50 AM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > The sending computer has two nics, eno1 for the internal network and
7 > > eno2 is on the internet. So, my netconsole stanza said
8 > > netconsole=@192.168.0.1/eno1,@192.168.0.2
9 >
10 > Is CONFIG_NETCONSOLE enabled for your kernel?
11 >
12 > I'm not sure if the kernel will assign the names eno1/2 to interfaces
13 > - I think those might be assigned by udev, which probably won't have
14 > run before the kernel parses this instruction. You might need to use
15 > eth0/1 - and your guess is as good as mine which one corresponds to
16 > which.
17 >
18 > If it isn't one of those it might not hurt to put the target mac
19 > address in there just to be safe. I haven't needed that but maybe
20 > there are situations where ARP won't work (it would be needed if you
21 > are crossing subnets, in which case you'd need the gateway MAC). Keep
22 > in mind that this is a low-level function that doesn't use any
23 > routing/userspace/etc. It was designed to be robust in the event of a
24 > PANIC and to be able to be enabled fairly early during boot, so it
25 > can't rely on the sorts of things we just take for granted with
26 > networking.
29 > > The box which is at 192.168.0.2 has netcat (windows version) and I
30 > > tried the following:
31 > > netcat -u -v -l 192.168.0.2 6666 and I also tried 192.168.0.1 6666
32 > > which is the ip address of the linux console which I am trying to
33 > > debug.
34 > >
35 > > I also tried 0.0.0.0 6666 which did not work either, but I think the
36 > > windows firewall was blocking, and I did fix that, but did not try the
37 > > 0.0.0.0 after that.
40 > So I'm pretty sure that netcat requires listing the destination IP,
41 > since it has to open a socket to listen on that IP. You can
42 > optionally set a source address/port in which case it will ignore
43 > anything else, but by default it will accept packets from any source.
44 >
45 > I was definitely going to suggest making sure that a windows firewall
46 > wasn't blocking the inbound connections. That's fairly default
47 > behavior on windows.
48
49 hmmm, but what should I use for the source ip, I only assign those
50 when I bring the interface up when I start the interface -- I have
51 something like this:
52 [Unit]
53 Description=Network Connectivity for %i
54 Documentation=man:ip
55 Before=network.target
56 Wants=network.target
57 BindsTo=sys-subsystem-net-devices-%i.device
58 After=sys-subsystem-net-devices-%i.device
59 [Service]
60 Type=oneshot
61 RemainAfterExit=yes
62 EnvironmentFile=/etc/conf.d/network@%i
63 ExecStart=/bin/ip link set dev %i up
64 ExecStart=/bin/ip addr add ${address}/${netmask} broadcast ${broadcast} dev %i
65 ExecStart=-/bin/bash -c "test -n ${gateway} && /bin/ip route add default via ${gateway}"
66 ExecStart=-/bin/bash -c "test -f /etc/conf.d/postup@%i.sh&&/bin/bash -c /etc/conf.d/postup@%i.sh"
67 ExecStop=/bin/ip addr flush dev %i
68 ExecStop=/bin/ip link set dev %i down
69 ExecStop=-/bin/bash -c "test -f /etc/conf.d/postdown@%i.sh&&/bin/bash -c /etc/conf.d/postdown@%i.sh"
70
71 [Install]
72 WantedBy=multi-user.target
73
74 and the /etc/conf.d/network@eno1 is
75
76 address=192.168.0.1
77 netmask=24
78 broadcast=192.168.0.255
79 So, before I run this, I don't think the card has any ip address, does
80 it?
84 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
85 How do
86 you spend it?
87
88 John Covici wb2una