From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] a few Mysql upgrade questions
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 18:05:13
1 I was planning on updating a client from Mysql 3.23 to Mysql 4.0, but
2 since 4.1 has stabilized I figured I'd give it a shot. And I'd also be
3 able to move another client off their crappy db server on the new shared
4 server if it had 4.1. However my setup has a few quirks.
5
6 The 3.23 install is acting for the replication master for the 4.0
7 install on the new server. The client is testing with 4.0 and everything
8 looks good. Ideally I'd like to stop replication, dump the db, upgrade
9 to 4.1, import the db, and start replication again. 4.1 can replicate
10 from 3.23, but I'm unsure if it can pick up where 4.0 left off. Has
11 anyone tried this? It's not the end of the world if it explodes in my
12 face, but I would keep up with my sleep by skipping another late night
13 maintenance to do a fresh dump from the master to restart replication
14 correctly.
15
16 The other question is about libs. I'm looking at a project that will
17 likely use Mysql 5.0 on the server side. At what point do I need to
18 update the client libs... or can I just use Mysql 4.0 libs in PHP and
19 whatnot till Redhat updates their builds? Some sort of checklist, Google
20 has been not helped so far, explaining when a client build would need to
21 be updated would be keen. Again not the end of the world, but I'd rather
22 not be building a bunch of custom packages if I can help it.
23
24 kashani
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list