From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo from ext3 to ext4
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:04:06
1 On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Rodolphe Rocca <fake2@××××.fr> wrote:
2 > reQuiem23 wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi all,
5 >>
6 >> i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
7 >> (cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab, add
8 >> an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot is
9 >> on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use
10 >> is
11 >> gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want
13 >> boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
14 >> than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
15 >> system reboots.
16 >>
17 >> I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
18 >> the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
19 >> problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
20 >> information because i can't get to a working shell :(
21 >>
22 >> Greetings,
23 >> Niklas
26 > grub is not compatible with ext4
27
28 # ChangeLog for sys-boot/grub
29 # Copyright 1999-2009 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPL v2
30 # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/sys-boot/grub/ChangeLog,v 1.110
31 2009/01/02 01:51:05 robbat2 Exp $
32
33 *grub-0.97-r9 (02 Jan 2009)
34
35 02 Jan 2009; Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> +grub-0.97-r9.ebuild:
36 Ext4 funtime for grub-0.97 series. Remember to reinstall it in your MBR.