From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: When is a disk not a disk?
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 20:11:17
1 On Monday 08 February 2010 02:25:17 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > b) You have a corrupted partition table that you can try to repair
4 > with the "testdisk" tool (after you make a full backup of your
5 > disk.)
6
7 That seems to have been it. Testdisk did indeed write a new partition
8 table, minus one of the partitions which it insisted on deleting so I
9 suppose something was wrong with it.
10
11 After much time taking and restoring backups my main system is now
12 running again and i can run fdisk.
13
14 I'm surprised at this, because a seek error sounds uncomfortably like a
15 hardware problem to me. Maybe some particular error in the partition
16 table confused fdisk and cfdisk.
17
18 Anyway, thanks for the help, Nikos and all those who offered it.
21 Rgds
22 Peter.