From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Simplified apache2
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:52:57
1 Hello,
2
3 I used 2006.1 livecd to install a pII machine. It's going
4 to becomme a (minimalistic) apache2 server. I just let the
5 installation
6 set the flags for the install so I have these flags currently:
7
8 CURRENT
9 USE=" X alsa arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts cairo cdr cli crypt
10 cups dbus dlloader
11 dri dvd dvdr eds elibc_glibc emboss encode esd fam firefox
12 fortran gdbm gif
13 gnome gpm gstreamer gtk hal input_devices_evdev
14 input_devices_keyboard
15 input_devices_mouse ipv6 isdnlog jpeg kde kernel_linux
16 ldap libg++ mad mikmod
17 mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg opengl oss pam pcre
18 pdflib perl png ppds
19 pppd python qt3 qt4 quicktime readline reflection sdl session
20 spell spl ssl tcpd
21 truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode
22 userland_GNU vorbis win32codecs
23 x86 xml xorg xv zlib apache2 "
26 Some of these flag look questionable, such as the one with
27 underscores (kernel_linux userland_GNU) as I only found
28 information on them, where they are describe as 'undocumented
29 use flags'. What's up with these flags?
30
31 Where do I look to discern the minimal list of (necessary) system
32 flags that
33 must be kept? (I want to avoid negating any flags that are critical).
36 These are my proposed list of flags:
37
38 PROPOSED
39 USE=" berkdb bitmap-fonts dbus hal jpeg ldap mp3 mpeg ncurses
40 nls nptl nptlonly
41 ogg pam pcre pdflib perl png python quicktime readline sdl ssl
42 tcpd truetype
43 truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode vorbis win32codecs xml
44 xv zlib apache2 "
45
46 So can I just use this list, or do I have to incluce a -{flag} for each one?
47
48 IS there simmpler syntax to globally remove unwanted flags [-*], but, not any
49 critical system flags? (Is this the same as just leaving the flag out
50 of the USE param. setting in make.conf?
51
52 Are there default system flag settings that I can safely remove?
53 Where is the list and how do I know which ones can be removed or negated?
54
55 My (limited) understanding of flags are that the highest priority are
56 those set in /etc/portage/package.use, then /etc/make.conf then
57 the system default flags which may be located in several locations.
58 Is there any docs or listing of all of these location and details
59 on precedence?
62 James
65 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list