From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Migration to xorg-x11 7.0 - Great except for one detail
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:20:44
1 Remy Blank wrote:
2 > Benno Schulenberg wrote:
3 > > There are just no actions like "Play", "Volume Down" or "Mute"
4 > > that I could assign XF86AudioPlay, XF86AudioLowerVolume or
5 > > XF86AudioMute to.
6 >
7 > Ok, I get it, sorry. I don't want to assign them to "Play" or
8 > other audio actions. I want XF86AudioPlay to lock the the session
9 > (Lock session) and XF86AudioStop to logout (Log Out). I assigned
10 > the key codes, but nothing happens when I press the keys.
11
12 See below for some vague suggestions. Meanwhile I've figured out
13 how to create actions such as "Mute" and "Volume Up" and assign
14 them shortcuts. It's done in the Control Center under Regional >
15 Input Actions. First press New Group. If the group appears where
16 you don't want it, drag it to before Examples, it will then appear
17 as a top-level group at the end. Then in that group create a New
18 Action, give it a name, like "Mute", and select the Action type as
19 Keyboard Shortcut -> Command/URL. Then go to the Keyboard Shortcut
20 tab and assign it a shortcut, like XF86AudioMute. Then go to
21 Command/URL Settings and fill in the related command, like "dcop
22 kmix Mixer0 toggleMute 0". Press Apply. And so on for other
23 actions.
24
25 > It was just strange that the keys stopped working right
26 > after the xorg-x11 update to 7.0.
27
28 Then it is most likely related. Maybe the numbers changed, the
29 codes that X assigns to XF86AudioPlay and such? An extract from
30 xev for some of the extra keys on my Logitech keyboard (this is for
31 Xorg 6.8, which I'm still using, so you might be able to check
32 whether in Xorg 7.0 the keysyms changed):
33
34 keycode 178 (keysym 0x1008ff18, XF86HomePage),
35 keycode 160 (keysym 0x1008ff12, XF86AudioMute),
36 keycode 174 (keysym 0x1008ff11, XF86AudioLowerVolume),
37 keycode 176 (keysym 0x1008ff13, XF86AudioRaiseVolume),
38
39 But maybe KDE is looking in the old place /usr/lib/X11 for keyboard
40 files, which for Xorg 7.0 moved to /usr/share/X11. It might be
41 trying to read /usr/lib/X11/XKeysymDB but not find it. You could
42 try a symlink: ln -s ../../share/X11/XKeysymDB /usr/lib/X11/
43 Or maybe link to ../share/X11 the entire /usr/lib/X11
44
45 Benno
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list