From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Makeing /dev/rtc1 accessible as soon as possible - how?
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 15:24:45
1 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> [13-08-25 15:16]:
2 > On 25/08/13 20:50, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [13-08-25 13:44]:
4 > ...
5 > > Hi Mick,
6 > >
7 > > this "MoBo" has neither a BIOS and therefore no BIOS battery.
8 > > I added the DS3231 rtc myself to get a battery buffered rtc.
9 > >
10 > > Best regards,
11 > > mcc
18 > What is the device ... a raspberry pi?
19 >
20 > A pi also has a rtc thats not battery backed so the first thing you need
21 > to do is set the time as soon as the network comes up with the results
22 > you describe ... nobody cares and the device works fine.
23 >
24 > Under what circumstances is this a problem? - I see where you say some
25 > files have an epoch date, but again thats normal for a pi and doesn't
26 > cause any problems.
27 >
28 > This might help us understand what you are trying to do ...
29 >
30 > BillK
36 Hi BillK,
37
38 nearly.... ;)
39 Its a Beaglebone Black...
40 Regarding the situation of rtcs it is the same as with the Raspi.
41
42 Changing between "bein connected to the internet" and "being not"
43 creates a chaos is correctly and incorrectly time stamped files.
44 Previously I got headaches while trying to figure out why certain
45 things (emerging, compiling etc.) does not work properly.
46 Secondly I feel be far more comfortably knowing that I do not
47 have to care about the correct time stamps.
48 Thirdly I dont like such a mess on my system...
49
50 But the question remains: How can I can introduce the existing
51 of a I2C device (the DS3231) to the system as soon as possible?
52 Since the kernel can be configured to not only care about rtc0
53 but to use any other rtc, it must be possible to introduce/initiate
54 such a device to the kernel in a pre-filesystem-mount state of
55 booting the system...I simply dont know how...
56
57 Best regards,
58 mcc