From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:55:56
1 > > > > Do you back up anything other than /etc and /home on a standard
2 > system?
3 > > > >
4 > > > > - Grant
5 > > >
6 > > > /var because with /var gone its complete-reinstall time.
7 > >
8 > > What about splitting tar.gz files across multiple CDs? Can that be done?
9 > >
10 > > - Grant
11 > > --
12 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
16 > A lot of things you're asking for can be accomplished with a script I've
17 > used (and successfully recovered with) called a stage 4 backup [1]. It's
18 > just your standard bash script that uses tar, gzip, bzip2, etc. to create
19 > manageable backups. I have my server set to backup once a month (I don't
20 > make significant changes to it very often).
21 >
22 > [1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Custom_Stage4
23
24 That looks pretty slick. That will have to be the next step.
25
26 - Grant
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list