From: Matan Peled <chaosite@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] traffic shaping and p2p
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:58:04
1 Matthias Langer wrote:
2 > Now, when i start a p2p app on my workstation the latency of my internet
3 > connection suffers greatly, allthogh i've
4 > 384 kbit/s up and 3072 kbit/s down. I know that there are some
5 > approaches to solve this kind of problem by categorizing packets and
6 > assign different priorities to them, as explained at
7 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Packet_Shaping. However, my knowledge of
8 > iptables and networking is very limited and i just want a simple and
9 > clean solution as i don't plan to trick myself by switching my p2p apps
10 > to non standard ports or manipulating the packet size ...
11
12 I've used that HOWTO (and contributed bits to it), and its great.
13
14 But why can't you just limit your P2P application's upload speed? I mean, the
15 program should have some controls that let you do that, right? I know every sane
16 bittorrent app has this.
19 [Name ] :: [Matan I. Peled ]
20 [Location ] :: [Israel ]
21 [Public Key] :: [0xD6F42CA5 ]
22 [Keyserver ] :: [keyserver.kjsl.com]
23 encrypted/signed plain text preferred
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list