From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] core i5
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 03:05:36
1 On 6/23/2010 1:56 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 23.06.2010 04:27, schrieb kashani:
3 >
4 >> I updated from a Q6600 to an i7 860 recently. Not amazing speed
5 >> wise, but I can run 8 threads and use more than 8GB of RAM. The RAM was
6 >> the big thing for me. If you're planning to do a lot with VMs I'd
7 >> suggest at least an extra drive if not more if you can swing it.
8 >
9 > You mean for storing the VMs?
10 > I have two drives locally now, RAID1 mostly. And I also test storing VMs
11 > on an nfsV4-storage via gigabit ethernet. Quite OK. And NFS-storage is
12 > more quiet ;-)
13
14 That's works. :-) I was doing a fair amount of rpm building, svn to git
15 with large trees, kickstart, Mysql, and Puppet work at a job a few
16 months ago which was hitting the host fairly hard. Between the above and
17 Outlook getting an extra drive to isolate the host OS from the VMs was a
18 requirement. Much smoother after that.
19
20 kashani