From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: necessary use flgas
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 04:07:44
1 On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 07:50:07 -0400
2 Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 01:13:40PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > On 23/06/2015 15:05, behrouz khosravi wrote:
6
7 > >> I am trying to remove all the default use flags and control them
8 > >> manually.
9 > >
10 > > Here's some good advice:
11 > >
12 > > Don't do that. See below.
13 >
14 > Nonsense - do that. If your goal is to learn how stuff works and
15 > you're already reasonably familiar with C/C++ so you can debug any
16 > strange errors that can happen, have fun. Just don't think you'll get
17 > any real work done ;).
18
19 I don't advocate completely overriding the profile defaults, but I do
20 it myself and have been for years. In terms of getting work done, I
21 estimate it costs me roughly five minutes per month, but with a pretty
22 large standard deviation -- most months it's zero. It helps a lot to
23 keep an eye on the -dev group for any discussion of possibly changing
24 defaults; when a default changes, it almost always means you're going
25 to have to change some flag settings either globally or for a few
26 packages. Be particularly vigilant about changes which might leave
27 you up a creek without a paddle, e.g. @system stuff or networking
28 stuff.
29
30 It also will help to learn which posters here override profile settings
31 with USE="-*". There are a few of us (sorry, I only have a vague
32 mental list), and the threads we start are likely to have the same
33 issues you may hit. And whenever you ask for help about *anything*,
34 whether you think it has to do with USE flags or not, mention at the
35 start you're overriding the defaults. You'll get more little lectures
36 about not doing that, but it's much better than having a guru who's
37 trying to help find out a dozen posts downthread that he's been on a
38 wild goose chase.
39
40 > Also, properly setting CPU_FLAGS_X86 is another thing that can
41 > speed up software *if* said software supports any special instruction
42 > sets.
43
44 And thank $DIETY for app-portage/cpuinfo2cpuflags. Well, I guess it's
45 better to thank mgorny.