From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Keyboard layout switching with Alt+Shift
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 07:53:15
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 17 December 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> In KDE 3.5.10, I can't switch keyboard layouts with Alt+Shift even
4 >> though that option is enabled in the control center:
5 >>
6 >> Regional & Accessibility->Keyboard Layout
7 >> ->Xkb Option->Layout Switching->[x] Alt+Shift change layout.
8 >>
9 >> The generated "Command" is:
10 >>
11 >> setxkbmap -option grp:alt_shift_toggle
12 >>
13 >> It works fine in KDE 4.1.3. It even generates the same "Command".
14 >> Furthermore, loading the KDE 4 keyboard layout applet in KDE 3 works and
15 >> I can switch with Alt+Shift. The KDE 3 one doesn't. What am I missing?
16 >
17 > I can't directly answer the KDE related question, but I do it like this in
18 > my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it works fine either in Fluxbox, or in KDE (with
19 > Fbx as the WM):
20 >
21 > Section "InputDevice"
22 > Option "XkbLayout" "gb,de"
23 > Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:menu"
24
25 Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it doesn't really do a nice job.
26 It enabled alt+shift switching but changes the layout globally instead
27 of just in the application that has focus, I don't get a tray icon that
28 tells me the current layout and shortcuts (like CTRL+C/V for copy/paste)
29 stop working when not in a latin alphabet layout (I use us (English), de
30 (German) and gr (Greek) as layouts).
31
32 I also posted in the KDE list but no one knows how to fix this :P