From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How can I move system to new disk?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:36:18
1 Hi, I'm facing this problem:
2
3 I want to exchange hard-drive in my computer for other, bigger
4 one. I do not want to add new hard-drive somewhere on mount-point
5 permanently, I just want to copy everything from the old drive
6 to the new one and then get rid of the old one. And of course,
7 I'd like to use my computer as before. What is the best (maybe
8 I should ask for safest) way to acomplish this?
9
10 First I thought about "cp -a". But I'm not sure which directories
11 I should skip (/proc, maybe some other like /dev?). And I do not
12 know how cp handles links (if I first copy link and later target,
13 where is the link pointing? to the original file or its copy?).
14
15 Maybe dump/restore is better solution? Or something else?
16
17 Jarry
21 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
22 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.