From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Fwd: [gentoo-user] [OT?] Dynamic DNS using Gentoo
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:33:58
1 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
2 From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
3 Date: 09-ago-2005 22:24
4 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT?] Dynamic DNS using Gentoo
5 To: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
8 2005/8/9, Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>:
9 > Jose,
10 >
11 > I'm currently DHCP behind DSL so I have the kind of setup you're looking at.
12 > Apart from the obvious configuration things you'll have some other things to
13 > keep in mind, like who is doing the DHCP negotiation for the IP address? If
14 > the router is, it must be able to interact with the dynamic dns service,
15 > otherwise you get into having to script something on the server side to
16 > fetch the ip info from the router and connect to the remote ip address when
17 > a change takes place.
20 It seems I don't have support for this on the router, so I'll have to
21 go the scripting way... I have taken a look at portage, and ddclient
22 and ez-ipupdate are available.
23
24 > I don't think you'll find a free service that allows for hosting your own
25 > name... Trust me, the small fee for dyndns.org is worth it to keep things
26 > working. With the fee in place whenever my ip address changes I can ping
27 > dyndns.org to have the ip address change and, so far, I have no complaints
28 > about it at all.
31 Well, I was searching for a free service because if I have to pay
32 anything for this I would consider paying a cheap hosting instead of
33 mantaining my own server.
34
35 > As for the software, look for ez-ipupdate. It handles most of the dynamic
36 > dns sites including dyndns.org and others.
37 >
38 > In any case ez-ipupdate might be a good source for dynamic dns services; if
39 > ez-ipupdate handles it then it's typically a good service.
40
41 Thanks for the tip... I basically have found (from the suggestions on
42 this thread, thanks everybody) the following providers with some kind
43 of free dynamic dns service (in case anyone else is interested):
44
45 http://www.dyndns.org/
46 http://www.dyns.cx/
47 http://www.zoneedit.com/