From: Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching CPU's -- what strange things do I need?
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:12:14
1 On Jan 25, 2008 10:00 AM, John covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hi folks. I right now have my CCFLAGS set to CFLAGS="-O2
4 > -mtune=athlon-xp -pipe" -- now I am getting one of those new Intel
5 > e8400 CPU's and so I have two questions.
6 >
7 > What should I change my CCFLAGS to -- and do I have to recompile the
8 > whole system after this is done or what?
11 I've done this before. I moved from an old Intel 3.06 Ghz to a new Athlon64
12 4600+. I did *not* change flags before the move from system to system. After
13 the move, however, I changed my -march flag (in your case -mtune, which is
14 equivalent) and recompiled everything to have the change take effect.
15
16 In your case, move the system from machine to machine, then change your
17 -mtune to: -mtune=nocona (see
18 http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.2.2/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html#i386-and-x86_002d64-Options)
19 . When you are done with that recompile everything: emerge -e world
23 > Thanks in advance for any assistance.
24 >
25 > --
26 > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
27 > How do
28 > you spend it?
29 >
30 > John Covici