From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "User services" best practice?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:29:46
1 On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Steve [Gentoo] wrote:
2
3 > While system-level services are typically managed by /etc/init.d/* in
4 > Gentoo, these are maintained by root for all users. I'm interested in
5 > an end-user without root access who wants to 'run a service-like
6 > process' (for example, fectmail to poll remote accounts...) While an
7 > end user can easily run a daemon process or kill one, this doesn't
8 > persist across a reboot. I've tried using fcron to schedule user
9 > processes to re-start after a re-boot... but this feels like a hack.
10 >
11 Use daemontools. It's in portage. Take a look at this site, which is
12 beginner-friendly:
13 http://www.thedjbway.org
14 A run script for fetchmail is in
15 http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html#fetchmail
16 but you can probably cook your own once you get used to daemontools.
17
18 You probably want your service to be kept alive, even when it goes down
19 for whatever reason other than rebooting, so daemontools seems the
20 proper solution.
21
22 I'm assuming you have root privileges but don't want to run services as
23 root when that's not really necessary. Otherwise, you'll need root's
24 cooperation.
25 --
26 Jorge Almeida
27 --