From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox occasionally stalls
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 21:17:49
1 On 21/03/2017 22:25, Kai Krakow wrote:
2 >>> I see this with some websites that do some weird stuff.
3 >>> CPU for at least one core then also goes to 100÷.
4 >>> Make a list of websites open in tabs when it happens to see if
5 >>> there are common ones that are always there when you have the
6 >>> issue.
7 >> Good idea. For posterity so's I don;t forget:
8 >>
9 >> - gentoo home page
10 >> - one or more readthedocs sites (especially docs.ansible.com)
11 >> - 1 or more jira pages (work stuff)
12 >> - 1 or more confluence pages (work stuff)
13 >> - a local gitlab site
14 >> - 1 or more python html apps for, errr, usenets stuffs
15 >> - 1 or more python apps running in flask (work stuff)
16 > I'm using Chrome with often more than 50 tabs open - without
17 > performance problems. But I had to switch Chrome to simple HTTP cache
18 > (chrome://flags/#enable-simple-cache-backend) to get that. Some tabs
19 > take more than 1 GB of memory after a while. But only those tab become
20 > sluggish, all others are unaffected. And I do not block any scripts
21 > (just the usual performance killers like ads and tracking scripts, done
22 > with Ghostery). I cannot believe that Firefox is so much worse at this?
23
24 Oh, I can believe it all right. Firefox is a bloated monster. The devs
25 keep refactoring it to get rid of bloat, but it's a lot like emptying a
26 lake with a teacup.
27
28 same with bind, open|libreoffice, bash, gcc ...
29
30 > If Chrome isn't a option for you, maybe try Vivaldi (it's based on
31 > Chromium and said to be very fast, tho for me it starts much slower
32 > than Chrome).
33
34 Using Chrome isn't really a problem. I can use anything I feel like (no
35 overlord here!. More correctly: the overlords that do exist are
36 ineffectual when confronted with a determine sysadmin)
37
38 The problem is that this 52 year old is tired of learning knew workflow
39 and retraining muscle memory for reasons of just because.
40 He's happy to learn python (useful), learn ansible (very useful) but not
41 chrome as the everyday browser (meh)
45 Alan McKinnon
46 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com