From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Demise of Truecrypt - surprised I haven't seen t his discussed here yet?
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:52:19
1 On Monday, June 02, 2014 03:23:03 PM Matti Nykyri wrote:
2 > On Jun 2, 2014, at 16:40, "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Monday, June 02, 2014 07:28:53 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > >>> On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 05:27:44 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 > >>>> The second option does sound what I am looking for. Basically, if I
7 > >>>> log
8 > >>>> out but leave my computer on, leave home, some crook/NSA type breaks in
9 > >>>> and tries to access something or steals my whole puter, they would just
10 > >>>> get garbage for data. That seems to fit the second option best.
11 > >>>
12 > >>> If they steal your computer they will have to power it off, unless you
13 > >>> are kind enough to leave them a large enough UPS to steal along with it,
14 > >>> so any encryption will be equally effective.
15 > >>
16 > >> If you're worried about casual thieves then just about any kind of
17 > >> properly-implemented encryption will stop them.
18 > >>
19 > >> If you're worried about a government official specifically tasked with
20 > >> retrieving your computer, my understanding is that it is SOP these
21 > >> days to retrieve your computer without powering it off for just this
22 > >> reason. They won't use your UPS to do it. Typically they remove the
23 > >> plug just far enough to expose the prongs, slide in a connector that
24 > >> connects it to a UPS, and then they pull it out the rest of the way
25 > >> now powered by the UPS.
26 > >>
27 > >> See something like:
28 > >> http://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/hotplug_field_kit/
29 > >
30 > > Hmm... Those are nice, but can be easily built yourself with an
31 > > off-the-shelf UPS.
32 > >
33 > >> Presumably somebody who is determined will also have the means to
34 > >> retrieve the contents of RAM once they seize your computer. Besides
35 > >> directlly accessing the memory bus I think most motherboards are not
36 > >> designed to be secure against attacks from PCI/firewire/etc.
37 > >
38 > > Hmm... add something to auto-shutdown the computer when a hotplug event
39 > > occurs on any of the internal ports and remove support for unused ports
40 > > from the kernel.
41 > >
42 > > I wonder how they'd keep a computer from initiating a shutdown procedure
43 > > or
44 > > causing a kernel panic when it looses (wireless) connection to another
45 > > device that is unlikely to be moved when powered up?
46 >
47 > Well i have a switch in the door of the server room. It opens when you open
48 > the door. That signals the kernel to wipe all the encryption keys from
49 > kernel memory. Without the keys there is no access to the disks. After that
50 > another kernel is executed which wipes the memory of the old kernel. If you
51 > just pull the plug memory will stay in its state for an unspecified time.
52
53 You don't happen to have a howto on how to set that up?
54
55 > Swap uses random keys.
56 >
57 > network switches and routers get power only after firewall-server is up and
58 > running.
59
60 networked powersockets?
61
62 > There is no easy way to enter the room without wipeing the encryption keys.
63 > Booting up the server requires that a boot disk is brought to the computer
64 > to decrypt the boot drive. Grub2 can do this easily. This is to prevent
65 > some one to tamper eith a boot loader.
66 >
67 > System is not protected against hardware tamperment. The server room is an
68 > RF-cage.
69 >
70 > I consoder this setup quite secure.
71
72 Makes me wonder what it is you are protecting your server from. :)
75 Joost