From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: back up gentoo system
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:55:18
1 Hello Sandro.
2
3 · Sandro Hannemann <shannemann@×××××.com>:
4
5 >> Correct. However you said, that "you need to access it (Linux backup
6 >> directories) from Windows too". And that's the main point and the point
7 >> that hasn't been answered yet: Why do you think, that such a need
8 >> exists?
11 > Suppose, you've got a project on which you work on both Windows and
12 > Linux machines (and maybe even a Mac...)
13
14 Okay.
15
16 > Such a project needs backups and it is very convenient and logic too,
17 > to be able to restore (or access) it from Linux and Windows likewise.
18
19 Depends if that's "very logic too". Are we talking about backing up
20 something like a "My Pictures" folder, or are we talking about system
21 backups?
22
23 > Why should this be such a strange idea?
24
25 Because you usually don't "mix-and-match" backups. A backup should
26 be a "storage" of how the system was at a certain point in time.
27
28 Michael Schmarck
29 --
30 <Knghtbrd> Trust us, we know what we're doing... We may have no idea HOW
31 we're doing it, but we know WHAT we're doing.
35 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list