From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: net-setup package
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:39:51
1 "Net Warrior" <netwarrior863@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > HI there guys.
4 > I've already installed gentoo, and wanting to setup the ethernet , trying to
5 > use net-setup seems not to be installed, which package do I nneed to install
6 > in order to have this util?
7 > It seems I missed something.
8 >
9 > Thanks for your time and support.
10 > Greets,
11
12 The net-setup tool is on the install cd. Not sure if its a separate
13 installable utility in portage.. but an `eix' search of the portage
14 database comes up empty.
15
16 The way I do is establish a network running the install image cd or
17 iso then transfer those settings to the actual install.
18
19 But if you've already moved to the fresh install you should be able to
20 setup the ethernet by hand with `ifconfig' and `route'.
21
22 Then put those setting into /etc/conf.d/net
23 /etc/conf.d/domainname
24 /etc/resolv.conf
25
26 For manual setup:
27 (assuming eth0 is the device you are going to use)
28
29 ifconfig eth0 my.ip.address (in numeric notation like 192.168.0.2) up
30 route add default gw my.gateway.addr (in numeric notation)
31
32 (if /etc/resolv.conf does not already contain a nameserver to use)
33
34 echo "nameserver my.nameserver.address" > /etc/resolv.conf
35
36 And finally, if all goes well.. complete the setup so that it starts
37 on bootup with rc-update
38
39 rc-update add net.eth0 default (to add it to the default run level)
40
41 See if that gets you going...
44 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list