From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] writing man pages (gentoo conventions)
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 05:57:40
1 On 03/06/2015 06:21, James wrote:
2 > Ok,
3 >
4 > So instead of my spew of ascii information files, I'm now composing
5 > 'man pages' mostly using txt2man. What I was wondering is what
6 > sort of template do folks use to help get the quickly/sporadically written
7 > ascii notes into more of a 'preprocessed' form, then conversion to
8 > man pages. Most of the codes I've written are on microprocessors and
9 > it's ugly C/assembler code and nothing like manpages. I have for decades
10 > just 'marked up' (digital) specifications and given back to customers. Now
11 > that I'm coding for lots of others to see the codes, I feel embarrassed
12 > (not really, but you know gotta act like I am embarrassed.) Actually,
13 > I don't give a crap because I always got stuck with the math functions
14 > an converting legalese into C_logic .....
15 >
16 > But now, I'm turning over a new leaf.....(really).
19 > I jot down notes in ascii files while I code and figure things out.
20 > Surely there is a better way for an old vi_hack to get more cleanly
21 > organized so these notes are at least in an ugly man page and more
22 > presentable to the masses (of critical eyes)?
23 >
24 > Note: I do not want an overburdened semantic here, just a wee bit
25 > cleaner and easier ascii_methodology to prepare for others to read ascii
26 > notes and such.....
27 >
28 > Formal Man pages are found in /usr/share/man, but for my work would it
29 > be best to put the one I create into /usr/local/man or /usr/local/share/man
30 > or ???? What do others do?
31
32 You probably want to run "man man" and read it :-)
33
34 Stick to the established conventions that folks are used to, like
35 section heading , and put your pages in the most relevant category (1-9)
36
37 Location: The convention is that code tarballs ship with
38 PREFIX=/usr/local, and packagers set it to the sae named location
39 directly under /usr. So your stuff goes in /usr/local/share/man
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com