From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hardened-sources reverted to 2.6.39-r8 :(
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 17:04:34
1 On Sep 21, 2011 9:13 PM, "Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)" <
2 klondike@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > Well deprecated version removal tends to happen because we are not going
5 > to aim for those versions stabilization AND there is a newer version
6 > available AND upstream tends to ignore bugs happening on older versions.
9 Aha, thanks for the explanation.
10
11 I do agree with the stance to not push for stabilization if older versions
12 will not be supported by upstream. However, since -r13 is by definition 5
13 revisions later than -r8, and to the best of my knowledge has no
14 show-stopping bugs (at least, none on my systems -- touch wood!), IMHO -r13
15 shouldn't be removed. Just remove the intermediate revisions.
16
17 Especially since going from 2.6.x to 3.x exposed a LOT of package breakages
18 (e.g., packages hard-coded to expect exactly /^2\.6/), I'm still not
19 comfortable enough using 3.x. Maybe later in December.
20
21 > What this means for you is that we are not going to force you to upgrade
22 > but if something fails you are in your own ;)
25 Fair enough. But now I have to do additional acrobatics for new systems ;-)
26
27 > PS: Next time come by #gentoo-hardened we won't bite you, I promise ;)
30 Proomiiiise...? (in the voice of a little girl)
31
32 :-D
33
34 Rgds,