From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Simplify finding the package?
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:04:51
1 Hi list, sorry for the nondescript title. Let me described what
2 happened.
3
4 I ran `emerge --update --deep world' over the weekend which updated
5 app-text/poppler:
6
7 Sat Mar 12 22:00:46 2011 >>> app-text/poppler-0.16.3
8
9 Today I found out that a whole bunch of packages got broken, and so I
10 ran `revdep-rebuild -p'. To my surprise, revdep-rebuild wants to
11 downgrade to app-text/poppler-0.14.5. That's odd, I thought.
12
13 So I ran `emerge --pretend --oneshot --verbose --tree' against the
14 list of packages produced by revdep-rebuild, and it displays near the
15 bottom that poppler-0.14.5 is a dependency of luatex-0.65 which is a
16 dependency of texlive-core-2010-r1. Okay. So I thought that one of
17 those two packages have an explicit dependency on a lower version of
18 poppler. And I thought I want to file a bug about that.
19
20 Digging into the ebuilds for luatex and texlive, I can't find any
21 reason why they would require poppler-0.14.5, and not 0.16.3. So after
22 puzzling about it for 20 minutes, I did the stupid thing, and tried
23
24 `emerge --oneshot --pretend luatex texlive-core'
25
26 and lo-and-behold, the poppler dependency does not appear!
27
28 Then combing through the list of packages one-by-one, I finally found
29 (on the second-to-last package that I tried) that the culprit is
30 in fact python-poppler.
31
32 ------------------------------------
33
34 Now, two questions:
35
36 (a) Should this be considered a bug in portage? The presented
37 information from `emerge --pretend --tree' is misleading to which
38 package is actually causing the downgrade request.
39 (b) Is there a way to have found that python-poppler was the culprit
40 without running `emerge --pretend' on each of the list of 16 packages?
41
42 Thanks,
43
44 W
45 --
46 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
47 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
48 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton