From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xdm login problems after recent emerge
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 12:38:15
1 On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Mick wrote:
2 > Searching further I noticed this in my .xsession-errors:
3 >
4 > /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession: /home/michael/.xsession: /bin/csh: bad
5 > interpreter: No such file or directory
6
7 This was probably a red herring and a remnant of having csh installed at some
8 stage.
9
10 I decided to go back to basics, suspecting that I misconfigured some env
11 setting file. I soon came across /etc/rc.conf in which there was no
12 $XSESSION variable set! No sooner did I enter XSESSION="fluxbox" I was able
13 to boot normally again. I believe that this happened when I used etc-update,
14 but cannot for the life of me remember overwritting what was there before.
15
16 As I haven't changed this entry for a few years now can you please confirm
17 that one is meant to use rc.conf to set $XSESSION.
18
19 Apologies for the noise.
20 --
21 Regards,